9 Aug 2012

Interview with an oriental diva: Omaris

"Omaris is a professional dancer and instructor known for her passionate and intense performances. To watch her dance is not just a passive event; Omaris makes one feel. A true artist, Omaris is able to evoke from her audience the emotion she wants it to experience: passion, longing, pain, and joy. One is often left sitting in their seat, stunned by her captivating performance.

This is no easy feat. Omaris possesses a strong technical foundation to back up her artistry. Her classes are popular in that she fuses technique with insights on showmanship that are priceless for any dancer. An often overlooked component of Omaris’ dance is her musicality. Her specialty is expressing the melodic lines in pieces seamlessly –and her drum solo’s aren’t too shabby either.  So, let’s get to know our sultry Dominican Rose and Queen of Smiles, Omaris".

By Stacy Reyer

423097_10151423280065271_1196419631_n

Ever since I’ve discovered Omaris’ videos online, which was over a year ago, I’ve become determined to meet her some day, so that I can watch her dance and learn from her. Her technique and energy immediately bought my respect and heart forever. I decided to contact her and tell her how her magical dance effected me. We began exchanging emails and I discovered that she was not only one of the best dancers I have ever seen, but also a wonderful and warm person. This is when I said to myself – you are bringing this girl to Serbia as soon as the opportunity arises. People need to know about her. Ever since, I’ve been following her work closely and believe me people, some day which is not that far away, she’ll probably be sold out 3 years in advance, because the world won’t be able to get enough of her.

Originally from the Dominican Republic, Omaris is a professional Middle Eastern dancer with more than a decade of experience and is highly recognized along the eastern coast of the United States (USA).  Due to her charisma, elegance, passion and her hypnotizing style, she has been frequently invited to share the stage with Jillina, Virginia, Rachel Brice, Jihan Jamal, Amir Thaleb, Aziza, Sadie, Asmahan, and the Belly Dancer Superstars, among others. Her style is a fusion of the intrinsic movements and passion of the Classic Belly Dance style and the power and dynamic of the Modern one.

Omaris is  “Omaris, The Dominican Rose," so named by the American crowd, and is highly acknowledged for her teaching methods.  Greatly admired by her students and peers, she captivates her audience with her natural and elegant movements and the passion with which she dances. Omaris is a natural born dancer who always dances from the heart. Many say, Omaris is Art in Motion.

Find out more at omarisdancer.com

Finally, I am introducing this dancing queen with an interview. She was kind enough to answer all of my questions, which are (I shamefully admit my selfishness) all of the things I personally wanted to know. I hope you will have fun reading, and please take a few minutes to watch Omaris dance, you won’t believe how rewarding it is.

189034_10150128878647681_4505060_n

Iris: You have a very personal style of dancing. How was it born?

Omaris: I think it was born based on improvisation. I do not like choreographies. I prefer to give a structure to my dancing in some part of the music, how I will enter on stage, exit, which traveling steps I will use, what is the mood of the particular song for example. I also love acting, so I “create” a history or a tale to most of every song I dance.

Iris: How did you start dancing and teaching professionally, how did you know you were good enough? It's always been a riddle for me, because I never feel I'm good enough.

Omaris: I started teaching when I became the assistant of my first dance instructor. I was a very dedicated student, so I started covering her some classes. I have always thought that I have to learn more. I always consider myself a student who has more knowledge and maybe more experience than my own students. So my learning experience never ends. I think I was good enough as an instructor because first I love teaching and second I was able to explain the movement, the feeling and ideas to make a student to understand and also to execute the step. I was able to share my knowledge with security and also being honest when I do not know the answer.

Iris: I agree, I also like to think of myself as an eternal student. This is one of the most important things I learned from my first teacher. Anyway, which dancers do you admire?

Omaris: I have admired many dancers. I think in general, the ones I do not consider fake and authentic.

29875_419288221788_7839324_n

Iris: Has belly dance changed you in any way?

Omaris: Yes! In so many ways!! Physical… I think my body has been transformed. I feel my body looks more feminine. Also, it has helped with my posture. When I was a child I had a lot of problems with my posture. Belly Dance helped me a lot! Spiritual… Belly Dance makes my life happier with music. I feel more secure as a woman, more confident. I have so many friends who share the same passion like me.

Iris: I feel the same way about everything. And sharing this feeling with the other women is such a rewarding experience! What are your long term visions, wishes and plans in dancing?

Omaris: I would love to teach and dance around the world. I would love to share my passion, my talent to people that believes in me.

Iris: Well, you know you have a fan in me and I hope to bring you to Serbia so that both your and my dream can come true :) I know you come from Dominican Republic. What is belly dance scene like there and do you feel your roots influenced your style?

Omaris: The Belly Dance Community in my country is growing fast. Dominican Bellydancers have a particular style like any other country. However, I learned this art in Puerto Rico. I think just being Latin in general and being surrounded by a big family who also love to dance a lot and do it very well, helped me to learn this dance faster. Of course, Belly Dance is more than to move your hips. But, I have to admit that my background in Latin music help me with some steps.

59876_447227493696_2832535_n

Iris: I like that the influence is there but so subtle, unlike with some dancers who emphasize it so much that at some point you forget it’s oriental dance. When I first watched your videos I thought you were 20 years old tops. Then later on I discovered you had kids and was even more amazed by your looks and energy. It's always troubled me personally, so I must ask you - is it difficult to have a family and be a dancing star like you are? Where do you get your energy from to survive both worlds?

Omaris: Yes, I am a mother of two. Yes, it is hard! I cannot deny it. Sometimes I feel very tired, sometimes I have to choose between stay at home and watch TV with the kids or going to a private party and have so money. I think the secret has been to have a supportive husband, finding balance between work and family and listen to your body. When I feel tired or just not feeling want to dance, I just take a day off or the days I need! I think that has been my secret: I listen my body no matter what! Also every week I make sure I have my family time.

Iris: I should try doing that, too! What has been your greatest dance challenge so far?

Omaris: When I competed in a professional competition in 2009. It was my first and maybe it won’t be my last.

Iris: Do you dance anything else besides oriental?

Omaris: Merengue, Bachata and Salsa ;) Just Latin music. I will start taking Jazz lessons soon.

300368_10150408139756789_1423007568_n

Iris: Do you have any hobbies?

Omaris: I love MOVIES! I am a movie collector. I also love to read, when I have time….(no much time lately).

Iris: It seems you've been a skyrocket rising star lately, but you're still so sweet and down to earth. How do you manage to keep the balance?

Omaris: You are so sweet! Well… I think, I always think that I am a student or a person that needs to learn more. I never think that I know everything or I am the best. I also think that if you have fame and - or fortune is when you need to be more humble. I am by nature very sensitive, humble and romantic. I think that also helps.

Iris: What single piece of advice would you give to your students?

Omaris: Be a goddess on stage! If you feel like a queen when you are dancing, the people will believe you are…

Iris: That is an amazing piece of advice. So obvious, yet so powerful. Thank you for your time and I wish you all the best luck in making your dreams come true!

545005_10151054270466789_184118586_n

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...